Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hooked

A couple of weeks ago, I was teaching a reading group in a 3rd grade classroom. I got to pick the book, and chose Horrible Harry in Room 2B by Suzy Kline. None of the 3 kids in the group had ever heard of Horrible Harry.

"You're kidding, right?" I asked. "You've got to be kidding. How can you be in 3rd grade and not know him? Well, I have to tell you, you are going to love him--especially you P. This guy is right up your alley! And Suzy Kline wrote a whole bunch of them. I really think you are gonna love this, and if you do, I have some more at home that I'll bring for you to borrow."

We read, we talked, and they went off to read more on their own. I also got to be there the day they finished the book. "You were right--that Harry is one mean dude! But kinda nice sometimes...well, sort of. He's really funny to--that stuff he does!" P. exclaimed. The others nodded. Y. tentatively  handed the book to me. "Can you find the other ones? The home ones?" she asked. The boys chimed in. "Yeah! Bring 'em all!"

"Sure," replied, trying not to smirk. "But you know I'll probably forget, so you'd better write me a a note." As I left their room that day, P. handed me a sticky note. It read, "I NEED those Horrible Harry books!"

Yes, I got them the books. Today Y. approached me in the hallway. "Do you think you can find any more of those books? I'm all done with the other ones.".  When I got home, I asked Youngest (aka my apprentice book pusher) for help. I described these 3rd graders, who have to work so hard in reading and who have fallen in love with Horrible Harry. He grinned, "hey, the way you describe them, they are kinda like the characters! You have a Song Lee, a Harry, and a Doug!" Then he headed for the bookshelf.


6 comments:

  1. This made me smile, especially since Youngest and I had the same exact thoughts! I am so glad you introduced these books to this group. They are loving them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this story a lot. It's a great feeling to see kids hooked on books. It sounds like Horrible Harry was a "winner". Be prepared to introduce them to more. I think you're on to something. Have you read, Shredderman, by Wendelin Van Draanen. My third graders loved that one. Thanks for sharing your slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great when we can get kids excited about books! Congrats on hooking 3 new Horrible Harry readers!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is no wonder you are surrounded by young readers--you create them! I love the way you gave us the voices of so many of the young readers you were referring to, through dialogue and that urgent post-it note.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like I need to look into these Horrible Harry books! Glad you had a real teacher moment--priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your little book pusher might have gotten it honestly... from you! Have any new titles for me to research/read?

    ReplyDelete