Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I didn't even know I needed to know this

One of the most interesting gifts Youngest (a big believer in interesting things) has received over the past few years is a subscription to Mental Floss magazine. It's packed full of stuff you didn't even realize you wanted to know. The current issue is beside me on the sofa, open to a page with a bunch of riveting facts about time.
Here are a few:

Did you know that a $1 bill circulates for about 21 months, while coins average 25-30 years? Anyone who digs around in my school bag or purse could tell you that. There are never any bills. There are always coins.

We all have heard that humans need about 8 hours of sleep. A giraffe only needs 1.9. A cow needs 4....huh....who knew I was sleeping more like a cow than a human? Something to think about. I'l like to try sleeping like a giant armadillo. 18.1 hours. Maybe not all the time--I'm just saying it might be nice to try it once.

Apparently, chimpanzees spend 6 hours a day chewing. Really? Chewing what? Must be something other than bananas, right?

Know how long the average hug is? 3 seconds. The journalist who compiled all this stuff and more into a book says that a day is about 28,800 hugs long. That's a lot of hugs, even if you have a lot of people to hug.

See what I mean? This magazine shows up, and every time, I learn things that I didn't even know I wanted to find out. Maybe I should  find out how much time I save each month wearing shoes with no ties versus those with ties...or count how many hugs long a slice take to write...

12 comments:

  1. No wonder your family are the kings (and queen) of random information! Love it. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you learn things you "didn't even know you wanted to find out."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting stuff...sounds like a cool magazine! I like for my hugs to last longer than 3 seconds though...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random facts of interest is what I'd call this. My thinking was hmmm, and who knew as I read each of your facts. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must play a mean game of Trivial Pursuit. I want to know who stays up all night trying to figure out these interesting tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this magazine. Sounds like just the thing for my grandson! Loved the random information and your commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of this magazine. It gives you a lot to think about. Thanks for the comment on my post about Roget. I looked back to last year and wrote a post about the thesaurus then, too. I guess the relationship gets more and more serious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have never heard of it. I love all those little bits of info that I never know. Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is interesting and you are right, I didn't even know that I wanted to know that, but interesting none the less! Thanks for sharing! Wonder if they have a website . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sister got me a subscription to mental floss for a year. It is almost overwhelming how much is packed in there!

    I enjoyed the facts, which remind me of the boy in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close--perhaps you should file this info away for a future book character. My favorite line of all is: Youngest (a big believer in interesting things)

    You captured the spirit of Youngest in such a way that I am both charmed and informed. I want to write character descriptions like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the hugs comparison - I'm not even close to giving this many in a day, but I wonder if I do it in a year? Love your description of youngest. Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that your slice was just the right dose of facts for me. I will be able to remember this. Your commentary was fun to read.

    ReplyDelete