Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Warm Fragrance of a Cold Morning

The memory of last night's spicy chili hung in the air this morning, but was soon replaced with the warm scent of cinnamon and the deep, earthy aroma of dark coffee. The sunlight is streaming in through the south-facing windows of the dining room, promising spring despite the snow-covered ground, and I've chosen my spot on the sofa so that I can easily glance up to see it.

Yesterday's hint of spring rain gave way to more snow showers, bringing on the need for comforting foods that not only warm your hands and belly, but also fill the air with smells reserved for cozy times on cold days. For now I'm enjoying the warm fragrance of a cold morning as I patiently wait by the windows for the fresh scent of spring.

7 comments:

  1. You have heightened my senses with your descriptions, they are so strong in this piece. Wish I had some scent of cinnamon in my kitchen this cold gray morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, Enjoying every one of your posts of everyday life. Reminding me to savor the wonder of everyday moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are not only from the sofa, but out the window. I like the description of hope, and all that wintry days encompass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This slice felt very comfortable and familiar to me. You captured the moment clearly with your vivid description.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still smelling the chili, cinnamon, and coffee.........I know that smell of spring--warm air and dirt!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your description of the smell of cinnamon makes me want some doughnuts!! Goodbye diet, haha...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, cinnamon and coffee! Wisdh I was at your house! Love your description!

    ReplyDelete